We live in the Sunshine State, and most of the time, we’re happy to see it shining in the sky, but there are times when it can cause some trouble. When the sun is low in the sky, typically right after sunrise and right before sunset, it can cause a blinding glare that inhibits a driver’s ability to see well. If you’ve found yourself in this sometimes scary situation, there are some things you can do to stay safe and avoid an auto insurance claim.
- Have polarized sunglasses within reach. These do a great job in reducing glare, and allow you to proceed safely.
- Keep your windshield clean, both inside and out. Dirt and smudges can cause the light to refract, which makes the glare even worse. Clean regularly and make sure you dry it completely so streaks don’t cause the same problem.
- Use your visor, and if needed, add extenders. Auto accessory stores sell extenders if you have problems with certain areas even with the visor down.
- Replace a damaged windshield. Cracks and chips can cause refraction, making the problem worse.
- Don’t leave things on your dashboard. Not only could these items be dangerous but if you had a sudden stop, but some can reflect light and exacerbate the issue.
If the sun shining in your eyes is a consistent problem, and you find yourself traveling at the same time each day, you may want to leave a little earlier or later if possible. Just a 15 minute change can make a big difference in the angle of the sun and how it affects your vision.
Also, as with all weather-related challenges, make sure you slow down and allow more space between you and other vehicles. It gives you more time to react in the event that something unexpected happens. Also, turn on your headlights, because if you are having trouble seeing, other people are too. Your headlights will make you more visible, even when the sun is shining.
Don’t let a wonderful sunny day in Florida be ruined by an unexpected automobile accident. If the sun shining in your eyes causes challenges, use these tips to make sure everyone stays safe. For more information about auto safety and insurance, contact us.
LET US HANDLE ALL THE WORK
WHILE YOU SAVE 29%
Rob Macoviak is the President of Oyer, Macoviak and Associates. Oyer, Macoviak and Associates is the oldest independent insurance agency in Boynton Beach and has been in business since 1953.