With the upcoming holidays, many people will be traveling out of town to visit friends and family. Many people pack up, lock their door, and hope for the best, but if you have concerns about a break-in while you’re away, there are many easy-to-use technology features that bring peace of mind and will prevent having to submit a homeowners insurance claim.
- Automated light system. With an automated system, you can forget about your plug-in timer. Someone really watching your house will notice the predictable pattern of a light coming on and going off at the same time each day. With automation, you can turn on different lights at different times from your remote location, which will make it really look like someone is home.
- Wi-fi cameras. Maybe you would just feel better if you can actually see everything is quiet on the home front. With these cameras, all you need to do is plug them in, and then use an app on your phone or tablet to see your home, and monitor whether there has been any movement.
- Solar motion detector lights. Motion detector lights for the exterior of the house have been a recommendation for years, but new technology makes the new solar variety an even better choice. Not only do you not have to worry about changing bulbs, but they will protect your home even in the event of a power outage, a time when many thieves take advantage of homeowners.
- Online mail and paper delivery hold. Obviously, mail and newspapers piling up in your box are a sure sign that nobody is home, but for those of us who forget to do anything about it until we’ve already left, it’s easier than ever to stop delivery. Simply go to the website for the postal service or newspaper and you can have your items held until you’re back in town with just a few clicks.
- Keep quiet on social media. While you may be excited about your trip, you never know who is reading what you’re posting, so wait until you get back to share the details.
In addition to using technology, it’s always a good idea to let a trusted neighbor know you will be out of town so they can keep an eye on your home. And obviously, make sure all doors and windows are locked securely. Using these tips, you can enjoy your travels with less worry about coming home to an unpleasant surprise.
For more tips on keeping your home and belongings safe, contact us.
Robert Macoviak is the President of Oyer, Macoviak and Associates. Oyer, Macoviak and Associates is the oldest independent insurance agency in Boynton Beach and has been in business since 1953. Oyer, Macoviak and Associates are vested members of the community who are committed to doing business face-to-face and being your insurance advocate in times of need.